Thursday, July 22, 2010

Roommate gift


Hi all
Thought you might enjoy seeing the gift I made for my convention roommate.  I got this long book at a local craft store and covered the front and back with Pawsitively Print DSP.  I was able to use the spiral punch on the edge of the paper and get the paper wrapped around the spiral - sometimes I have made books that did not match our punch, so I was thrilled this one did.  Gives it a more finished look.  The letters SLC  (ie Salt Lake City, 2010) were made with my Big Shot die cutting machine and metal flashing material that is used in construction/roofing.  I stuck each cut metal piece to a matching  chipboard piece then stuck them to the book.  I wanted to attach a pen, so I put three twill tape loops on the covers - two on the front and one on the back.  This allows me to weave the pen through the three loops, which keeps the book closed.  Handy!

In order to give the eyelets a finished look on the front, I inserted a silver brad.  Inside I added an envelope for receipts - we can declare some of our expenses on our taxes but you must have receipts. I also included some repositional tabs.  I like to use these books at convention because we do not have tables in the classes and so you are writing in your lap.  With these books you can cross your leg and rest the book on your thigh to write.  I often have ideas pop in my head as they are talking and I flip to a clear spot in the book to jot down the idea that might have nothing to do with the topic being presented.  The repositional tabs let you mark where you jotted down stuff on a particular topic.  Hope Diana enjoys her gift, even if she chooses not to use it at convention.
Peggy

No comments: