Saturday, December 8, 2012

ornament class - medallion

Hi all
Today was a really great, but loooong, day.  It began early, so we could get to the volunteer fire station for Breakfast with Santa ...a family tradition for sooo long, I don't recall when we began ...but it is way more than 23 years now.  Love getting to see my friend and her family, even though half of our kids are not teenagers any more.  We didn't linger long this year; it turned out to be a very well attended breakfast so we gave up our seats to those who came after us.  Also, I had promised my friend/co-worker, Amy, that I would run a craft activity at her church, so I dropped the guys home and zoomed to the church.  It wasn't a huge group of ladies, but about half of them chose to make the star folded ornament (posted on 12-4-12).  Lovely group of ladies and I discovered that the pastor's wife is an occupational therapist (like me!) and even attended the same university that I did.  Funny!  Thank you, ladies, for the opportunity to play with you!

Today I want to share another project from the ornament class.  One of my ladies (Hi Patti!) wanted to get the special medallion kit that Stampin' Up! was selling, but it has now sold out!!!.. Tonight, I was talking with her about how she could create a version of the medallion with what she has or what she wants to order.  Here is my version....

The bottom layer was made by using the Holiday Ornaments framelits and the Big Shot and some retired, flocked designer series paper.   Because they used the precut DSP, the ladies in the class didn't have to wait for an opportunity to die cut a stamped image.  I thought that would really jam up the progress of the task!   The artichoke layer is made from 12 punched always artichoke ornaments and 6 stamped ornaments which were then punched out.  Each ornament was folded in half and then glued together to form a three part segment.  The white layer was made using the Rosette die (but you can hand score the cardstock to create a rosette too).  Finally, we used the faceted crystal buttons and a dahlia to compete the set.  The button and dahlia were attached with hot glue (I am definitely NOT a hot glue fan - makes me think of spider webs!  If you would like to try to make this ornament, tackle the task one layer at a time.  If you do not have the ornament framelit, think what you might use instead.  Just work thought the layers trying to make each layer a bit smaller than the one below.   By the way, the ladies attached each element to one of the nifty sticky circles from Stampin' Up!  That really made the task easier, I thought.
Here are the medallions some of the ladies made...


If you need more of an explanation of this project, don't hesitate to contact me. 
I will be holding a tag and gift card holder class next Sunday, please register early...I have several "extra- curricular' activities this week, so it would help me if I can make your packets early.
Peggy

No comments: